Sometimes I just take what's left over in my fridge and toss some things together...most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't...but this is definitely one of those times that it did. I used to make a pasta version of this back in the day but loaded it with butter; this is a much healthier version of my old fave.
Here's a quick and easy recipe for dinner or lunch. Just a few ingredients and tons of flavor. The recipe below is for 1 person, so adjust for more peeps.
- 2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked and scraped - I cooked the small one I had in the microwave for about 9 minutes. If it's larger you'll want to cook it longer.
- 1 cup broccoli, rough chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, rough chopped
- 3 oz grilled chicken strips
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- Parmesan cheese for topping (about 1T)
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cook spaghetti squash and cool. Shred when ready; set aside.
- My chicken was cold, so I chopped it up and sauteed it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil, not even 1/2 tsp, just to brown it up. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Next, add broccoli and cauliflower to the pan, and add the chicken broth.
- Bring to simmer, turning the veggies in the broth to soften them a little, not too much, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash to the pan, sprinkling with garlic salt and toss.
- Add the chicken to the pan and toss again.
- Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
Calories 243 / Carbs 28g / Fat 3g / Protein 26g / Fiber 9g / Sodium 1528mg (you can lower your sodium by exchanging garlic salt for garlic powder)