Hello everyone! Today I'm reaching back into my archives and re-posting a great recipe for Coconut Curry Chicken. As I stated in my original post below - I put this into my rotation for dinners. I can't believe how long I waited to try it and now it seems like I've always eaten it! So delicious and it's what's for dinner tonight!
We've gotten hit with snow and ice here in the Mid-Atlantic with more snow expected tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to snuggling in with this dish tonight.
Original post 12/17/12:
I’m a little bit embarrassed to admit this about myself…get ready to be shocked: before this recipe I had never had curry before. Ever.
I really don’t have a good excuse. It could be that whenever the opportunity presented itself, there were other options that appealed to me more? All I can say is that I’m sorry. I’m sorry delicious curry, that I neglected to enjoy you for so long. I’m sorry friends, for doubting you every time you told me how delicious it really is. I’m sorry Hubby, for not introducing you to this wonderfulness, hence denying you/us this taste sensation.
Okay, now that the apologies are over, I’m here to tell you that this dish will absolutely be in my dinner rotation from this moment forward. AND, I’m breaking out! I’m going to try other curry recipes, too! Stay tuned...
A friend of mine actually makes this a few times a month for her family and for a year she’s been telling me to try it. Again, my friend, I’m sorry for not listening.
I adapted this recipe from the one she uses at Allrecipes.com
If you are like me, some kind of freak of nature that hasn’t had curry before, try this recipe. Like tonight. I’m serious.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T curry powder
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 of a 14 ounce can coconut milk (you can also use light coconut milk for even fewer calories; my grocery store didn’t have it this time)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar (you can omit this)
- 2 cups cauliflower, rough chopped
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach
1. Season chicken with salt & pepper and set aside.
2. In a medium/large pot, heat oil and curry powder together and let marry for about 3 minutes. This is key to get great flavor.
3. Add the onions and garlic and stir to coat…sauté on low for about 5 minutes until the onions soften.
4. Add the chicken and sauté until no longer pink; about 7 minutes. It’s okay to not cook until all the way done as it’s going to simmer for 40 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut milk and sugar, and stir.
6. Simmer slightly covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for approximately 40 minutes. This will thicken the sauce.
7. In the last 10 minutes, add the cauliflower and stir.
8. You can also add the spinach at this time; I didn’t add it to my whole pot because Hubby is not a fan…
9. Remove from heat and serve over rice.
**My notes for slight changes that I’ll make next time (which absolutely are not necessary to improve this dish, just as a variation): I like spice and I probably won’t add the sugar next time. Subsequently, I will try adding a tablespoon or two of chili garlic sauce/paste for a spicier version.
Calories 370 / Carbs 23g / Fat 19g / Protein 29g / Fiber 7g / Sodium 1308mg