I loved this one for spaghetti squash and happily, so did Hubby! I’m so proud of him for trying so many different things this year. He’s definitely not a veggie eater so when he breaks out of his routine, it’s a pretty big deal.
I have been hungry for pasta lately, and not just any kind of pasta, I wanted it covered in cream sauce, mmmmmm….I had my fingers crossed for this experiment and luckily for me (and for you, right?) it turned out deliciously!
Bonus: short ingredient list and easy, easy, easy.
· 1 medium/large spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded (see below)
· 2 shallots, diced
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· ¾ to 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
· ¼ to 1/3 cup fat free half and half
· ½ cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese (whichever you have on hand)
· 2 T fresh parsley (you can also use dried if you have it; 1 T)
· Salt and Pepper to taste
1. You can prepare the spaghetti squash one of two ways: 1) Bake, cut side down in your oven at 350 for 45 minutes or 2) Microwave, cut side down for about 10-12 minutes. Cool enough to handle, remove seeds, and then using a fork, shred the squash.
2. Spray a large sauté pan with non-stick spray or Misto. Over medium heat, sauté the shallots and garlic until shallots soften; about 5 minutes.
3. Add the shredded squash and stir; add salt and pepper if you wish.
4. Add the chicken broth and mix.
5. Add the half and half and mix.
6. Finally, add the cheese and parsley and mix. (Forgive my fuzzy picture; it's hard to take a picture and shake cheese in prettily for the perfect photo!)
7. Remove from heat and serve! I like to add chopped tomatoes and more Parmesan!
Serves 4 as a side dish
Calories 113 / Carbs 13g / Fat 4g / Protein 7g / Fiber 2g / Sodium 349mg