A Healthy Makeover is celebrating its 100th post! How fitting that I end 2012 on that note! Even the picture of this recipe is a little Holiday-ish, wouldn't you say???
I’m going to take a break for the holiday so that I can spend time enjoying my mom while she’s here and to just chill and really enjoy the holiday like it should be. We have been very busy in the kitchen this month and especially the last few days with all of the cookies we’ve made to share and send along to our family. I am so blessed to be able to spend time with her! My bestie was also here to visit and we were cookie makin' fools!
Here are a few pics of our creations (not healthy makeovers ;o):
So you can see that we were busy and tired! We needed an easy and quick dinner to sustain us...last night we made this awesome recipe that was sort of a thrown together kind of thing. We were short on time but wanted to eat something healthy and hearty. These concoctions really are the best kinds of recipes, aren't they? No expectations other than throwing a bunch of ingredients together - which separately are delicious on their own -but together just brings them to a whole ‘nother level!
I’ve seen a few recipes like this online and just decided to utilize a few ideas and come up with something for you – and here it is! I'd say it’s probably an adaptation from this recipe I found at plainchicken.com which looks yummy, too!
So easy and quick! And feel free to add any of your favorite veggies; the ideas are limitless!
2 cups cooked and sliced chicken breast (I used Trader Joe’s ready-to-eat grilled chicken)
1 cup (plus ½ cup for topping, set aside) of your favorite marinara sauce
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup frozen spinach
½ cup frozen pepper mix
4 whole grain tortillas
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (or grated parmesan)
Olive oil spray or Pam
1 cup grated low fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sauté chicken, 1 cup marinara sauce, basil, oregano, and garlic powder in a medium saucepan pan and heat until simmering.
3. Stir in spinach and peppers and bring to simmer.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Warm tortillas in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so that they are just a little bit warm.
6. Scoop chicken mixture onto one side of a tortilla.
7. Sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese onto the mixture then roll up the tortilla, folding in the sides as you roll; you don't want any goodness to seep out while it's cooking!
8. Place seam side down in a small baking dish sprayed with Pam. Repeat with each tortilla.
9. Spray the top of each wrap with cooking spray.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until browned.
11. Remove from oven, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
12. Meanwhile, warm the remaining marinara sauce.
13. Remove the wraps from the oven and spoon a little bit of marinara sauce onto each wrap.
Serve! Don't they look so yummy??
Calories 345 / Carbs 30g / Fat 9g / Protein 30g / Fiber 6g / Sodium 1136mg
To read how I’ve planned for a healthy holiday season, please read my Journey. A great plan is all you need! Oh, and part of that plan is not to eat all of the cookies we baked!
I want to wish each and every one of you a VERY Happy Holiday and I hope that 2013 brings you only love, peace, health, and happiness! 2012 has been such an amazing year and I have loved sharing a little piece of my life with you. Thank you for stopping by A Healthy Makeover – see you in the New Year! XO