Hubby and I love, love, LOVE Philly Cheesesteaks…I mean, come on, it’s meat and it’s cheese, who doesn’t??
But obviously they are VERY high in calories and fat so I don’t get to partake in as many of them as I’d like…which could be at least one a week, just sayin’.
When I decided that there just HAD to be a way to slim this little sucker down, I shared my idea with said Hubby: no bread, stuff all the goodness into a pepper; brilliant!…he looked at me like I was CAH-RAY-ZAY...take away the bread?? What?! He’s a limited veggie eater anyway, so I snickered knowing I wouldn’t have to share.
And seriously, I don’t like to make separate meals, but how easy was it to make him his own sandwich and me my pretty, fancy stuffed pepper?? WAY easy.
I think you’ll really, really, REALLY like this…
· 2 – red bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, deseeded
· 4 slices reduced fat provolone cheese
· 2 cups sliced mushrooms; you can use button or portabella, or any variety that tickles your fancy!
· 1 medium onion, sliced
· 6 oz sliced lean roast beef from the deli; I used Boar’s Head
· 2 T low sodium Worcestershire sauce
· ½ cup reduced fat shredded cheese; I used mozzarella, but would also be good with pepper jack
1. Place your peppers onto a microwave safe plate and microwave them for about 3 minutes. Just to soften them up a little bit. Afterwards, remove them from the microwave and place them onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
3. Spray a sauté pan with non-stick spray and over medium high heat, sauté mushrooms and onions until mushrooms become nice and brown.
4. Chop up your roast beef a bit and then place it into the pan with mushrooms and onions.
5. Add the Worcestershire sauce and mix, then remove from heat.
6. At this point, I like to add hot peppers, but you can omit this.
7. Place one piece of provolone onto each half of the peppers.
8. Add the meat and veggies to fill each half.
9. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
OH. SO. GOOD & OH. SO. FAST!
Calories 350 / Carbs 25g / Fat 14g / Protein 38g / Fiber 4g / Sodium 678mg