Friday, September 28, 2012

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff


Previously, I mentioned that Hubby and I have been camping every weekend in September…if I didn’t, guess what??  Hubby and I have been camping every weekend in September!  And I love me some camping food, but honestly, I have had to be careful because 4 weekends in a row eating “vacation” food will NOT cut it in my new healthy lifestyle.  I decided that just because it’s the weekend, and we are away from home, does not mean that we are going to go nuts and eat all that junk.
But, Mama still needs some yummy delicousness…so I decided to make beef stroganoff…it’s honestly one of my favorite things to eat.  I love the sauce, the meat, the mushrooms and onions, the creamy goodness and the noodles!  Let’s not forget about the noodles…
And who doesn’t love a slow cooker meal?  Throw it in, smell the yummy food cooking all day, anticipate said yumminess for hours and hours, and then bam!  Dinner is served!  Or walk in from a hard day’s work and there you are…
So, we had lots of fun things to do last weekend at the campground and I decided to bring along the crock pot and not have to worry about dinner.  Did I mention we are not camping in a tent?  Yah, I'm not THAT kind of camper.  I need my amenities, if you know what I'm sayin'.  Anyway, we have a kitchen in the motorhome but I still roughed it a little and made do with what I had, including mixing the sauce in a red Solo cup and voila!  Dinner…and it was good.  Very good.
Ingredients:
1 lb stew beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 package (8oz) sliced mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 T Dijon mustard
1 ½ cups fat free, low sodium beef broth
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
8oz low fat sour cream
4 ounces no yolk egg noodles (I like Ronzoni Smart Taste)

Preparation:
1.    Add the beef, onion, mushrooms and garlic to the slow cooker.
2.    Sprinkle with salt and pepper
3.    In a separate bowl (or red Solo cup, hehe) mix the flour, mustard, and beef broth together (this seriously looks like the color of my morning coffee...or as some would say, my milk with coffee in it...)


4.    Pour over the beef mixture and stir everything together.

5.    Set temp to high for one hour, then reduce to low for 4-5 hours.  Or just set on low from the start – your choice!

6.    After allotted time, turn the slow cooker off, remove the lid and then add the sour cream and stir well.
7.    Follow box instructions for the pasta and serve the stroganoff on top – YUM!

Nutrition:
Serves 4 – ½ cup noodles, 1 cup sauce
Calories 406 / Carbs 37g / Fat 13g / Protein 33g / Fiber 4g / Sodium 436mg

4 comments:

  1. Thank You! Finally a recipe that doesn't use cream of something soup! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying this tonight. ..it smells amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum thanks! In the crock pot it goes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this today and it was absolutely amazing!! New house staple for sure, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!