Thursday, May 10, 2012

Meatloaf Muffins


Lately I’ve been really hungry for comfort foods.  It’s fun to try new recipes but sometimes you just want tried and true favorites.  I was hungry for meatloaf and decided to try a different route and make them individually.  This recipe is great because you make 12 at a time, and for just me and hubby, that leaves lots of leftovers which I just portioned out and threw in the freezer.

Instead of using ground turkey, I had lean ground beef on hand (remember, lean beef can be healthy, too!) and I just kept adding stuff to the mixture.  The result was a happy combination of yumminess.

I had also gotten a dozen eggs from my friend’s niece…(Side note:  she’s 11 and a quite the little farm girl – so excited when I opened my carton of eggs and her little business card was inside!) and used them in the recipe.  It was my first time getting “real” eggs and I have to say, there’s comfort in knowing where these came from.  In fact, the more I learn about the benefits of farm fresh eggs, the more I’m kicking myself for not using them sooner!  I’ll be getting into more detail about the benefits of farm fresh eggs in a post very soon!

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil 
½ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped carrot
½ cup chopped baby bella mushrooms 
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp dried marjoram
¼ tsp dried thyme
1 cup ketchup, divided (1/2 cup each)
1 ½ pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20) 
2 large eggs 
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, divided
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms, dried oregano, minced garlic and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. 


Sauté 2 minutes or until carrots are tender.  Remove from heat and cool.


Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Here's me crushing up some crackers - you can only guess how satisfying this act really is...


Look, here's that fancy egg I was telling you about!


Spoon the meat mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups.  


Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup....or use your skillzzz to squirt it out of the bottle...


Bake for 35 minutes or until they reach 160° using a meat thermometer.  Let cool for 5 minutes.

Yum, comfort food at its finest…I served these little cuties with grilled sweet potatoes and maple cinnamon butter.

Serves 6 (2 muffins per serving)
Calories 299 / Carbs 24g / Fat 8g / Protein 27g / Fiber 1g / Sodium 724mg

I would love to hear from you - let me know what you think!

13 comments:

  1. These look amazing !! i am going to make these for tomorrows supper. and ill need to 3x the recipe, got 4 kids to feed over here, but i think there going to love these over the old way of making meat loaf. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Heather! Good luck and I hope the kids really like them! They really are a fun twist on the usual - and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, I am making these tonight for supper with a baked potato! It is -7 with a -35 windchill so comfort food is what we need! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrrrrrrr!!!! I hope they warm you up!! Thank YOU for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. These are delicious! I just made them and love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you hear you enjoyed them!!! They are one of my faves, too!! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  5. I've made these twice for my family and we love them! Making them for my parents tonight. My dad loves meatloaf. Meatloaf on Easter is ok, right? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make these with my own recipe that i use for regular meatloaf, my family LOVES them!! :) Even my 2 yr old who will not eat "meat" noms on these "muffins" no problem! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making this a third time tonight. Everyone loves them, and that is hard to accomplish with a family of 7!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this recipe :) I make with both beef or Turkey. Has become a biweekly dinner in my horse. Kids like them too from 3 years old to 16 years old. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely going to try these today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these and substituted oats for the crackers. Thanks for the recipe! Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!